Thursday, December 3, 2009

THE MOMA 11/22/09













Firstly, let me apologize for the lateness of my post. I still have tons of photos to upload from other museums that I will most likely not be able to upload tonight. In any event, we visited several areas of the museum. Unfortunately for us, my daughter lost her patience very quickly. However, two things really caught her attention, both of which, I recommend everyone in our class try to see as well. First, and there will be no pictures to follow, we went to the Tim Burton exhibit. As many of you know from our experience with this class, as this was not a collection, I was unable to take pictures. BUT, it was beautifully-creepy for lack of a better description. My daughter was enthralled with the colors, and juxtaposition of neon colors against blacks, and leather batman masks and catwoman suits.








Moving on, we practically ran upstairs to the fifth floor to see my absolute (still) favorite artist's exhibit - Vincent Van Gogh. Honestly, I felt like I was meeting a movie star. We were able to get really up close to the paintings, and to see every little brush stroke - "swirly" as my daughter and I dubbed them - and she was in just as much awe as I was.








The first piece we encountered was the "Portrait of Joseph Roulin." It was painted during Van Gogh's stay in Arles France. Joseph Roulin was a postman in Arles that Van Gogh become enthralled with. While he was impressed by his features (deemed "socratic" by Van Gogh, because of his short nose), his fascination was primarily in Roulin's personality. He very excitedly wrote to his brother Theo about this piece. The thing he was most proud of was being able to capture the feeling of Roulin, not through an exact mirror image of the man on paper, but through the use of color, and Van Gogh's famous short stroke.




No comments:

Post a Comment